Friday, September 2, 2011

1st Grade, Round Two

This is the 3rd blog post, in a series of posts, flashing back to my school-age years. I'm going to try my best to remember as much as I can from each year. Starting now, they will be much more pleasant to read than the first two. Wow! Those were downers! :-)


It was the 1985-1986 school year. I was a first grader once again....


It was a fresh start for me, from the moment I got on the bus that first day. I was introduced to a girl named Melanie,who was also starting the first grade, and was in the same class as me. We became instant "Bus Friends" meaning, we talked and laughed together on the bus, but never really played together at school. But that was fine by me! I was just happy to have a friend.

I remember walking into Mrs. Frank's class that day, feeling a little nervous, but not sad or scared. The only part of the day I dreaded was lunch time, because I knew some of my old classmates would tease me for being held back.

And of course they did, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Plus I had my moment in the sun, when one of the two teasers were held back that same year. (I like to think of it as quiet revenge, even though I had nothing to do with it.)


So, the day started off with a room full of new faces and new possibilities. I met my first official best friend, Tara, who was fun to talk to and be around. We had a lot of goofy fun together, which was just what I needed that year!

(Tara and I, right next to each other in the yearbook, as best friends should be. At least in the mind of a first grader.lol)
I remember a classmate named Tyler, broke his crayon and started to cry. Other kids laughed at him, but I never did. After all, I knew how the poor guy felt!LOL I didn't like being made fun of, so I wasn't about to do the same thing!

My grades were good this time around too. I still have my report card, and I got all A's and B's. My confidence was up, and I was loosening up, and allowing myself to have fun and enjoy school.

I found out that not all boys were mean, and actually got along with most of them. Especially Nate, who would set me off in complete belly laughter all the time! We had fun quoting Ed Grimley to each other. Does anyone remember that show?

It was a Saturday morning cartoon that was based on Martin Short's character from SNL. It only lasted a few years, so don't feel bad if you don't remember. Here's a clip of the intro.



One of the things Ed would say all the time was, "I must say" after everything. For example, "I really hope I get more blog followers, I must say."

 Oh well, it was funny to us at least.

I asked Nate about it when we were in middle school, and it felt good to know he still remembered all of that.   We even had a little impromptu "I must say" session.

First grader Amy was also into these shows, just to name a few.





There are so many great cartoons from that era! Everything is computer animated now, and just has a cold kinda feeling to it. Does that make any sense?

(Not the best picture, but these were some of my favorite "friends" from that year. I still have  my Cabbage Patch, my Ewok, and my fox, that was also a radio. I wish I still had my Punky doll!!)    


Yep, I was having a great year. The only thing I look back and cringe at, is the day I started crying hysterically over a thunderstorm, and thought I was about to die in a tornado.Ha!

And go figure, the two boys that witnessed my breakdown, were still reminding me of it in high school. (I thought I was the only one who remembered stuff like that!;-) I would have been ok, if my Grandpa would have been there.;-)

So that, and a few spontaneous nosebleeds, (I don't know what it was about that year, but I was always getting them!) were the only weird things that happened that year. At least from what I can remember.

I just know that being held back, was the best thing that could have happened to me.



1 comment:

becki said...

Oh that was good Amy, I really enjoyed it...as much as things change...they also stay the same...bullies have been around forever, but it seems now, people are less likely to put up with it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...