Saturday, January 14, 2012

Rainbow Cake Part Two: The Next Level

After my youngest daughter saw her sister's birthday cake in August, she decided right then and there, that she too wanted a rainbow cake for her birthday.

So here we are, five months later, and my sweet rainbow loving girl finally got her cake.♥

Holly absolutely loves all things rainbow! (I was the same way when I was little. I even had a pair of rainbow jeans in 6th grade!;-)


This time, I made the inside of the cake the same as Megan's, only instead of chocolate frosting in the middle, I used strawberry. Because if there's anything Holly likes more than rainbows, it's the color pink.☺

The directions to the cake are right here.

And since Holly loves rainbows, I decided to kick things up a bit, and give her rainbow frosting.



I got the idea from Pinterest. Isn't it cool?! The directions can be found right here. There are pictures too! I used Betty Crocker Gel Food Color.

The frosting I used was homemade buttercream frosting. I had never made it before, but I can assure you that after tasting it, I'll never go back to store bought again!

Here's how I made it:

2 Sticks of unsalted butter

4 cups of powdered sugar

1/4 tsp salt

1tbs Vanilla

4tbs milk

Beat softened butter until creamy. (I just used my hand mixer)
Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, and mix until it has a cornmeal consistency.

Add 2tbs of milk, and continue mixing.
Next, add the remaining sugar and mix, followed by the other 2 tbs of milk.

Add your 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1tbs of vanilla and mix.

If it's too runny, add a little more powdered sugar, and if it's too thick, add more milk.


The frosting ended up being the perfect consistency for what I needed. I did have to make two batches though, because this wasn't enough to frost the entire cake. Next time I'll just double it.



(I almost forgot to take a pic of the inside! At least I got this one, right?lol)

Before you pipe the frosting onto your cake, you'll want to place the bag in the freezer for a few minutes. If the frosting is too warm, it gets runny and makes it hard to decorate the sides. Maybe there's another trick for that, but I'm kind of new at this.☺

The cake was a big hit, and the only mishap, was that the frosting on the side of the cake, stuck to the cake safe and came off when I lifted the lid. It probably happened because I had it in the fridge all night, and didn't let it sit out long enough before taking the lid off.

Oh well! Lessons learned I guess!☺

Let me know if you try something like this! I would love to see what you came up with! ☺

Even with the sides messed up, it was still a pretty cake.☺

3 comments:

Dan Schuh said...

Looks amazing Amy! I'm jealous of your blog, its positively delightful. Keep up the good work!

Holli said...

ummm, Yummy!

Mominin said...

Your rainbow cake looks great! I bought the fondant at Walmart. It definitely doesn't taste like a Hostess Cupcake. I'm not really sure how to explain the flavor. I don't like it as well as buttercream frosting, but it's not too bad. You'll have to try it out and report back what it tastes like, LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...