Monday, August 15, 2011

My First Rainbow Cake

Megan decided she wanted me to make her birthday cake this year, instead of buying one at the store like we usually do. She requested the rainbow cake that was featured in the August issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray.


I had seen rainbow cakes online before, but those looked like they would take a lot more effort than this one. I can't believe how easy this was!!

Isn't it pretty? (Toot Toot! Yep, that was my horn.)

The only thing I did differently, was that I skipped the yellow. I figured since my orange looked a little yellow,  adding it wouldn't look as nice.

So, here are the directions, if you ever want to give it a try!

  1. Mix white cake batter according to the box directions.
  2. Divide it among 6 (or in my case 5) bowls, starting with 1/2 cup in the first bowl, and working your way up to 1 1/2 cups in the last bowl.
  3. Whisk a different color of gel food dye into each bowl. RED in the smallest, then orange, yellow, green, blue, and end with VIOLET in the LARGEST bowl.
  4. Don't forget to rinse your whisk after each color. (I just used a fork for each bowl.)
  5. Starting with the LARGEST (violet) pour each bowl into the MIDDLE of a greased 9 inch round pan.
  6. Spin the pan after EACH color, to distribute evenly. (Always poor it gently in the middle.)
  7. Bake at 325 degrees for an hour. (Tent with foil for the first half hour to prevent browning, making sure NONE of the foil is touching the cake.)

I wanted to make a layer cake, so I did two of these. It's a fun and easy cake to make, and everyone was in awe over it.


And best of all, the birthday girl Loved it! After all, it was her special day.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...