Saturday, January 21, 2012

White Bean and Chicken Chili

It really seems that this blog is turning into a food blog, doesn't it? I think the winter weather just puts me in the mood to cook and bake. (Mostly bake☺)


So no, my little blog is not transitioning to a food blog, but it's safe to say I will be having more food-type posts. But only if I find something worth sharing with all of you.

Which brings me to tonight.

For years I've been talking about wanting to make white bean chili, but when it comes to cooking new things, I usually wimp out and say, "Maybe next week..."

I'm sick of putting things off! I've made up my mind that this year, I'll add more items to our family menu, because lets face it, eating the same 5 or 6 dishes over and over again, can really get to a person!

Can you believe that until today, I had never, and I mean never cooked with fresh garlic? The thought of it actually scared me! "How does one even cut garlic?" "What the heck is a garlic clove, and how in the world do I mince it?!" "PS....what does mincing mean?"


Thank goodness for YouTube and the wonderful German chef who showed me what to do!

Can you tell I'm more of a baker? lol


So, after searching the internet and finding several recipes, I discovered that most white bean chili recipes had the same main ingredients.

This is my version.


White Bean and Chicken Chili

1 whole chicken, 2 or 3 pounds

1 lb Dried Northern Beans 

7 Cups Chicken Broth

1 Cup of chopped onion

4 Cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp Cumin

1/8 tsp Oregano

1 tsp Paprika

1 tbs Chili Powder

1/4 tsp Pepper

1 tsp Salt

2 tbs Chopped Jalapeno

1 Cup Cilantro leaves, chopped (you can skip this step if you're not a fan.)


Boil your chicken until it's falling off the bone, usually an hour and a half, to two hours, making sure to turn it halfway through.

While that's boiling, cook your beans as the package suggests.

When the chicken is done, drain the broth through a strainer into a separate pot, and place the chicken on a cutting board or pan. Pour the broth back into the pot you boiled the chicken in. Let the chicken cool for a bit before pealing off the meat. I like to use my hands to do this, that way I can feel any small bones that may have found their way in otherwise.

When your beans are done, add them to the broth, along with the chicken.

Next, add your dry ingredients.

In a separate pan, saute the onion, garlic, and peppers in some olive oil or vegetable oil. When everything is tender, add the cilantro and continue cooking for another minute or two.

Add the mixture to the chili pot, and let simmer for as long as you'd like. Mine cooked for a few hours.

Make sure you taste it as you go, making sure there's enough chili powder for your taste. I couldn't add too much spice, for the kid's sake.

I topped ours off with a dollop of sour cream, which made it extra yummy.☺


I have one of the pickiest eater's in the world living in my house, and even she liked it! In fact, she ate every bite! 

This chili was a big hit, and everyone in the house gave it 2 thumbs up.

Yay, for trying new things!☺




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...