Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Suzy Q / Ding Dong Cake

Like all experiments, you have your winners, and your losers. The cake I made today was a winner when it comes to flavor, but sadly, when it comes to looks, it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

I started out wanting to make a Hostess inspired Ding Dong cake, but after trying it, it tasted more like a Suzy Q. The only part that made it kind of like a Ding Dong, is the chocolate ganache on the outside.

I began by baking a chocolate cake with Hershey's baking cocoa. (The recipe on the back of the container.)
I like using that recipe, because the cake is more firm and easier to handle than boxed.

While the cakes were cooling, I made the creme filling. Marshmallow creme frosting, to be exact.

Marshmallow Creme Frosting

One 7oz container of marshmallow Creme

One 16oz container of vanilla frosting

Place everything in a large bowl, and mix on high for 2 min.

(Top section)

The next thing I did was scoop out circles of cake, and filled them with the frosting, then put the missing cake pieces back on top.

(Bottom section)
After I had them both filled on the inside, I spread the remaining creme on top of the bottom half, then placed the other half on top.


And that my dears, is the step I should have skipped! As soon as I placed that last half on top, a huge crack appeared. Looking at the picture, it's probably because the top half is bigger. (Don't ask me why, because the pans were the exact same.)

But alas, I kept right on chugging, like the Little Engine that Could!

Next, I made the Ganache.

Chocolate Ganache

1 cup heavy cream

1 Tbs butter

12oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips


Heat the cream and butter over medium heat, until boiling.

Pour the mixture over the chips and let stand for 5 min.

Stir until smooth.

The last thing I did was take my pastry brush, and brushed on the ganache.


I suppose if you are anticipating a broken heart this Valentine's Day, then this is just the cake for you! ☺

(Side view)
So, what did I learn today?

That the next time I decide to make one of these cakes, I'm going to keep both sides separate. Yep. One for us, and another for some lucky, close in proximity relative.lol ☺

(At least it tasted good!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...