Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

September 11, 2001

A day that will forever be fresh in our memories.

Most of us remember where and what we were doing when this horrific event took place.

I was 23 years old that year. My mind was on the fact that my wedding day was only 3 1/2 weeks away, and stressing out as most brides do.

I was driving to work that morning, when the radio announcer reported that the World Trade Center had been struck by a plane.

My first thought was, What is the World Trade Center? I had heard of it, but didn't really know what went on there.

My second thought was that it must have been a small plane that was having engine trouble, and couldn't help crashing.

Then I got to work and saw on the tv what had actually happened. I didn't understand what was going on. I like so many others, thought it was caused by engine problems, or some other technical difficulties

Then the 2nd plane hit.

Realizing that this in fact wasn't an accident, and that someone was doing this horrific thing on purpose?

There aren't words.

I wasn't even going to write this post, because I don't like recalling that time. I of course will never, ever forget that day, but recalling the images on tv, and in the papers, is sometimes too much to take in.

My mind goes to those people in the planes. Knowing that their time had come to be with God. Wondering if they'll feel any pain. Worrying about the family and friends they're leaving behind.

Then I start to think about the families who never got to say goodbye. Never got to even touch the body of the ones they lost. Never having a grave to visit. Never knowing if they felt pain.

I think about the people in the buildings, and what it must have been like seeing that plane, and knowing what was about to happen.

I pray for the people who jumped to their deaths, instead of being burned alive or crushed. I think about what I would have done in that situation. I probably would have done the same.

Then I think about the brave souls that took matters into their own hands, and gave their own lives to save others. Flight 93, you are and always will be, Heroes.

 God bless the souls lost from Flight 77 hitting the Pentagon.

And God bless the brave men and women, who were running in the buildings, when everyone else was running out. You are loved, respected, and will never be forgotten.

I pray for the people who are still living with the horrors of that day. The people who have gotten cancer from breathing in the dust. The people who will forever be on oxygen.

All this because of a group of radicals and their so-called beliefs? They do these things in the name of God?


I feel sad that they don't even know Him.

I wish they knew that God is Love.


God is Love!


So, tonight I say a prayer for the lives lost. The ones left behind. The ones still fighting. And the hardest of all, I say a prayer for the ones that think they know God, and ask that He make Himself truly known to them.

God bless us all.

1 comment:

becki said...

It marked the end of what was and the beginning of what is....our lives were forever changed...I am so sad that my grandchildren will never know how it "used" to be.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...