Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Church Candle

I grew up always living just down the road from my grandparent's house. I spent practically every day there, and Christmas time was no exception.

My grandma and grandpa loved Christmas. Every year my grandma would decorate her house in a magical way, that made me look up and gaze in awe.

I can remember it like it was yesterday. The tree was decorated with all blue lights and silver tinsel. It was the prettiest thing I had ever seen. Even their candy canes were blue! Blue and white striped candy canes. The old pictures don't capture the true beauty of it.


Have you ever seen a Christmas tree decorated with all blue lights? It's one of the most peaceful looking things in the world. To this day, I make sure to have a little tree with all blue lights, in honor of my grandparents. That way I can keep a piece of them alive every Christmas.

(Me under my grandparent's tree, in 1980.)

Not only was the tree beautiful, but the entire house was a Christmassy wonderland. My Grandma had quite the Christmas candle collection. Most of them were shaped like Santa and Mrs. Claus, and other Christmas time figures.


She always had them strategically placed throughout the living room, so that there was at least one in every area. And the one that always stood out to me year after year, was her church candle.

It had a little bell in the steeple, and I always enjoyed ringing it. Not to mention my grandma's last name was Church, so that made it extra cool to me. ☺

Every year I would ask why she didn't light the candles, and she always informed me that they were for decoration only, and if we lit them, we wouldn't be able to enjoy them every year.

(Taken around 1984)

I'm so glad I never talked her into lighting any of them! I came to love that simple candle more and more each year.

As the years passed, she started collecting nutcrackers, and I fell in love with those as well. Grandma bought me my first nutcracker. When you'd open the mouth, it played We Wish you a Merry Christmas.

After that, I received a new nutcracker every year, either from grandma or my dad. Dad still buys me one every so often, if he comes across a really cute one, but my first nutcracker will always be my most precious one.

The Christmas of 2000 was my last Christmas living at home. I became engaged that year, and would be married in 2001.

I remember it was Christmas eve, and Grandma came over to give me my gift. When I opened it up, tears welled up in my eyes.

It was the church candle, carefully packaged and wrapped in tissue paper.

Grandma remembered how much I admired the candle, and wanted me to always have it. We both cried like fools that night. I was realizing that my childhood had come to an end, and that my grandmother wouldn't be around in the flesh forever. I say in the flesh, because I know she's around in spirit. My grandpa also.

Who would have thought that a simple candle, would be one of the most cherished objects of my life?

My grandma. ♥

(My church candle in all it's glory, with my first two nutcrackers; both from my grandma.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...