Tuesday, May 17, 2011

See What You Started, Fievel Mouskawitz?!

A month or so ago, the movie An American Tail, was on free HBO, so I recorded it for the kids. After all, it has always been a favorite of mine, and I like when we can bond over things that I enjoyed as a child. I absolutely love that movie! Great songs, heartwarming story, mice that I don't want to kill. It has it all!!

But here's the thing about An American Tail. I always cry!! I swear, I could watch that thing 10 times in a row, and still end up crying when he finds his family! Megan, my oldest, asked why it made me cry. I told her it's the way he whispers, "Papa..." when he hears his father's voice calling for him. It just gets me every time!

And then I started thinking about all the other cartoon movies that pull on my heartstrings. I'll be the first to admit that I tear up over just about any sappy thing, ( Like this one Oreo Cookie commercial from the 90's, where the teenage girl lets her dad twist her Oreo for her, just like he did when she was a little girl. I know, I know....pure sap.) But there's something about animated stories, that really get to me. And I swear Disney is the worst!! They like making people cry, I think.;)

So, here are some animated movies that make me feel like a crying fool.

1. Bambi. I'm good until he cries, "Mother!!" Mooooother!!" You know, I might have been OK with that part, if they would have just left it with the gunshot. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what that sound means. I was a little kid when I first saw it, and I figured it out. Scarred for life I tell ya. Scarred. For. Life.

2. The Land Before Time. And once again, the animators felt the need to kill another mother. (I'm surprised it's not a Disney movie.) Only this time, the poor little dino had to actually witness his mommy dying! Then, later thinks he sees her, but it ends up being his shadow. And the Diana Ross song at the end!!?? Are you kidding me with this?! Evil. Pure evil.

3. Dumbo. ( See, didn't I mention Disney was evil?) Oh, let's see. How about we take an elephant with ginormous ears, have everyone around make fun of him for being different, then, lock his mommy up in a cage so they can't see each other. Yeah!! That's the ticket!! Then, we'll make it so he's able to visit her, but is only able to see her trunk! And how about we have her rock him with her trunk, and play a sad song, all at the same time!! Thank God he had that mouse to take care of him for awhile. You know, the same mouse who got him, a baby elephant, drunk!! Good times. Goood times.

4. All Dogs go to Heaven. At the very end, when Charlie is saying goodbye to Ann Marie, and she says, "Charlie, I love you." It's just sad.

5. Lady and the Tramp. When Trusty is hit by the truck, and Jock starts howling. Oh, sad, sad howling. OH, and the sad dogs in the pound!! Animals make things more sad I think...lol


6. The Lion King. And once again, Disney kills another parent. Typical.


I'm thinking I should have just typed, "Every Disney movie made, before 2000." LOL

Well, I think this list has gone on long enough. The sappiness can go on and on for days.;)

What are some animated movies that make you tear up every time? Come on! Don't be shy! I know I'm not alone here!;)

4 comments:

becki said...

Girl, I think you hit all the movies...I have none to add or none that I can think of, but you are right about that. My favorite animated movie is Monsters Inc. Just love that one and it doesn't make you cry.

Jessi said...

Anastasia- when she finally meets her Grandmother.

Brother Bear- when the little bear finds out that Kenai was the one who killed his mom.

Toy Story 3- when Andy gives all his toys to Bonnie and they play together one last time.

I'm sure there are more...but those ones get to me. I don't cry...but I get teary. :)

Amy said...

I agree with all 3 of those!! Except, I was teary eyed for the first two, and a complete mess for Toy Story 3. Good ones, Jessi!! I bet the list could go on forever.:)

April said...

Man Amy, I thought I cried easy, but I think you got me beat! Calleen and I both cried for Ramona and Beezus (I know not animated) and we were talking about it afterwards and she just looked at me roller her eyes and whispered "mom you always cry". That cracked me up!
I do know I cry when I watch Anastasia. I guess I haven't watched much lately to know for sure on others...and honestly it really depends on my mood when I watch them too! gotta love being a woman.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...