Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cheesy Potato Soup

I, like so many of you, have fallen victim to the wonderful world we call, Pinterest.

And up until now, I've only been pinning things, and never actually trying anything. But in my defense, can I just say how fun it is to pin stuff on there?! There's just something so gratifying about it!:-)

So, for my first Pinterest recipe find, I decided to make Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup. If you click on the link, it will give you the Betty Crocker version. If you keep reading, you'll get my version of the same soup, only with a few revamps.;-)

For My version, you will need--

32 oz. of diced potatoes (4 cups)


1/2 cup chopped onion


I medium celery stalk, diced. 


32 oz. chicken broth, or 4 chicken bouillon cubes in 4 cups boiling water.


1 cup of water


1 package of cooked bacon, chopped, to garnish when it's done.


Green onion for garnish.


Put all of the above in your slow cooker, except the bacon and green onion, and cook on high for 5 hours. (Cooking on low is fine too, just make sure to allow more time.)


After 5 hours on high, (6-8 hours on low) you'll need to mix--


3 tbs all-purpose flour and 1 cup of milk.


Add the mixture to your soup, and stir. Let it cook for another 20 min. on high heat.


The last ingredient you'll add, is 1 bag (8 oz.) shredded American cheese. I find it helpful to take the cheese and melt it in the microwave with a tbs of butter. It will end up creamier that way.


Stir the soup every 5 min. to allow all the cheese to melt into the soup nicely. It's super hot, so it doesn't take very long.;-)


After you're ready to serve it up, sprinkle some bacon pieces and finely chopped green onion on top.


And that's it!!


Doesn't it look yummy?!


I added some of the bacon into the soup while it was cooking, but it ended up with fatty pieces, so I won't do that again.

We ate our soup with rolls, which made me realize how wonderful this would be in a bread bowl!

Maybe next time!:-)

January 16, 2012

I made this soup again tonight, and left the bacon out, and it was wonderful! It was super yummy on a cold winter's night.☺

1 comment:

becki said...

I love potatoe soup....you might want to try sausage instead of bacon...I love that in my potatoe soup.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...